Andela is developing a corps of high-quality technology talent across the African continent that will drive the current and future phases of tech-enabled growth around the world. With the fastest growing population and highest youth population in the world, we believe Africa is one of the greatest untapped markets for talent development.
At Andela, we find the brightest young people in Africa, train them to be world-class developers, and connect them with employers around the world looking for top technical talent. Passion, excellence, entrepreneurial spirit, and rejecting the status quo are just a few of the things that Andela team members have in common.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Software Engineer
- In this role, you will primarily work as a Senior Software Engineer within the Technology department building world-class internal products to support Andela’s business needs.
- As the Senior Software Engineer, you will take on complex tasks and complete them despite roadblocks, grabbing others for help or insight as necessary. You will require very little oversight beyond high-level direction; you can take a complex user story, break it down into sub-tasks, and complete their sub-tasks with relative ease.
- You will show initiative beyond knocking tasks off a list; you are able to identify and suggest areas of future work for yourself or your team.
- You will drive product velocity and deliver products with confidence. You will take pride in building products that are key to helping Andela grow and scale as an organization.
You’re the kind of person who:
- Believes that building great software is more than just delivering working code, that other aspects such as reusability, testability, maintainability, security, and performance are just as important.
- Is constantly learning and expanding your skillsets on and off the job.
- Can mentor entry-level developers willing to become world-class.
Responsibilities Include, But Are Not Limited To
- Work closely with Product Owner and Stakeholders to understand the business needs
- Deliver complex software solutions that meet those needs
- Share responsibility for strategically scaling Andela’s internal systems
- Promote and nurture good team practices such as TDD, code reviews, and pair programming
- Bring vision to the team in the form of new technology recommendations, ideas and approaches
- Mentor entry-level developers willing to become world-class
We are interested in a candidate from any background as long as you have a solid understanding of core computer science principles. Here’s an abbreviated list of interesting technologies we currently use:
- Ruby/Ruby on Rails
- Golang, Python
- AngularJS, React
- Postgres, MongoDB, Redis
- Heroku, AWS, Google Cloud, Docker, Kafka
What makes you a great fit for this role:
- The ability to be located in Lagos, Nigeria or Nairobi, Kenya.
- 3-5 years of software development experience
- TDD and pair programming experience
- Experience or strong interest in microservices architectures and distributed systems
- Solid written and verbal communication
- A Bachelor’s or advanced degree in Software Engineering, Computer Science or related field.
- Strong understanding of computer science principles
- Experience working in an agile environment (standups, sprint planning, retrospectives, etc)
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Click the Apply now button to send your application